Masking Tape Shoes

ASSIGNMENT || "Using only masking tape, create an exact replica of a pair of shoes." 


The process of building a shoe from scratch began with a reading on texture. 
I responded to the reading in two ways:

1. I drew a variety of cells on the back of a gorilla in order express the textures presented. The text talked about touch experiments tested on gorillas. 


    2. The second drawing was completed was about the power of touch between people. The reading mentioned how people communicate and express emotion through touch, so I wanted to reflect the beauty and power in that. I drew a couple dancing and from their hands is sparked growing flowers. I used watercolor for the flowers and placed a sheet of tracing paper over, then drew the couple on top of the tracing paper. I attempted to express though they may feel the impact of touch the effects may not be visible to them. Even though they might not see it, there is beauty exuding from them. This "separation" of feeling and display was created by the tracing paper. 





The process of building the shoe began by analyzing the shoe and its many constructional aspects in order to make templates to replicate. 




I built a mockup shoe out of paper first in order to layout the proportions before I made the shoe out of all type. 




Next, I built up the base of the shoe in order to create proportion. 





Thus, began the assembly. 













Comments

Popular Posts