Balsa Wood Small Sculptures

Assignment || Use limited materials to create three small sculptures that emphasize an element or principle of art and design. 

1. SPACE. 
In this sculpture, I attempted to exemplify the use of space by using interior aspects. I wanted to mix materials so the viewer would experience something inside of the sculpture itself. I used different materials inside the wood to create the focal point. 



2. FOCAL POINT. 
I used mostly organic shapes to create variation in scale that led to a focal point. I cut a thinner piece of balsa wood and soaked it overnight so that I would be able to mold it. Next, I layered duck type to act as paper, sketched a pattern and used the Exacto to cut it out. on the other end, I wanted to counter the material with something hard, so I laid out a thin layer of wood glue and let it dry overnight. Next, I cut it and strung it through to tie on either end of the balsa wood. 

3. TEXTURE. 
My final sculpture was made entirely out of paper and at the end I created a base out of wood so it could stand on its own. I began by folding the paper into pyramid shapes without a bottom. and placed the tips together, so they made a circle like structure. I then placed multiple folds and shapes of paper to exemplify texture. I based this sculpture off of a personal experience at the time. I was a point in school where I was very distracted and needed to compartmentalize all my thoughts in order to accomplish a specific task. I also learned during this time that certain aspects of life are so beautiful that they spread throughout several "compartments" of life. Thus, I glued a flower pattern throughout the sculpture. 

Comments

Popular Posts